This week the DSMA Live crew chatted about some of the advocacy efforts happening this month. I’m going to just drop a bunch of bullet points to help people track down additional information.
- Abby is doing a fun “photo a day” project during November, where each day she’ll post a picture around a particular diabetes-focused theme (these are always fun to join in on – and she says the more the merrier!).
- Allison launched Blue Cupcakes, a line of diabetes-inspired handmade letterpress greeting cards.
- George is updating his Facebook status messages with a diabetes related fact for each day of the month. For example, today’s message says: “Day 2 – There are many different types of diabetes. Don’t assume you know which type someone has. When someone tells you they have diabetes, ask them which type. If someone asks you what type of diabetes you have, be sure and thank them for asking a great question! It’s a win/win people.”
- Big Blue Test – test your blood sugar, get active for a few minutes, then test your blood sugar again. Participate whether you have diabetes or not, participate as many days as you can, and as many times per day as you can. Each entry that happens before 11/14 will help PWD’s in need. There is even an iPhone app (sorry kids, I couldn’t find an Android app).
- World Diabetes Day Postcard Exchange - an initiative to connect people affected by diabetes from around the world with each other during the month of November in celebration of World Diabetes Day and Diabetes Awareness Month.
- Blue Fridays – A simple idea with big potential. Wear blue on Friday’s to represent diabetes awareness.
- International Diabetes Federation World Diabetes Day - So many events and monument being lit around the world (over 360 different buildings as of this writing).
- World Diabetes Day, Twin Cities – In the Twin Cities area (Minneapolis/St.Paul) Scott and many of the local PWD’s are getting together at the Mall of America to celebrate and raise awareness. If you’re in the area, we’d love for you to join us!
- 16 Hour DSMA Twitter Marathon (#WDDChat12) on World Diabetes Day – details coming soon at diabetessocmed.com.